Apium graveolens is a plant species in the family Apiaceaecommonly known as celery or celeriac depending on whether the petioles (stalks) orroots are eaten.
Celery is a crunchy biennial plant which has been cultivated for centuries in various forms. Although originally cultivated for its perceived medicinal qualities, celery has since made the jump into the daily diets of consumers around the world. The plant is in the family Apiaceae, and is related to dill, carrots, fennel, and parsley. The domesticated and highly cultivated species is formally known as Apium graveolens. While growing, celery has a cluster of stalks topped by green leaves and white flowers during the blooming season.
Health Benefits of Celery
Celery leaves has high content of vitamin A, whilst the stems are an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C with rich supplies of potassium, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and plenty essential amino acids.
- Reduced blood pressure: Celery contains a chemical that can lower levels of stress hormones in your blood. This allows blood vessels to expand, giving your blood more room, thereby reducing pressure.
- Reduced cholesterol: Eating celery daily may reduce artery-clogging cholesterol
- Good antiseptic: Celery seeds help in uric acid elimination. So, celery is good for people with bladder disorders, kidney problems, cystitis etc. Celery seeds also assist in avoiding urinary tract infection in women.
- Healthy joints: Celery is good for people suffering from arthritis, rheumatism and gout. Its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce swelling and pain around the joints. Celery sticks contain a diuretic substance, which help to remove uric acid crystals that build around joints.
- Prevents cancer: Celery contains phthalides and polyacetylenes. These anti cancer components detoxify carcinogens. Celery also contains coumarins that enhance the activity of certain white blood cells.
- Improved immune system: Celery is rich in vitamin C; therefore it booststhe immune system.
- Relief from cold: Because of the presence of vitamin C, taking celery gives you relief from cold.
- Reduces severity of asthma: Vitamin C prevents free radical damage and thus reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions like asthma.
- Cardiovascular health: Presence of vitamin C in the roots of celery promotes cardiovascular health. Roots
- Diuretic activity: Celery is rich in both sodium and potassium. These minerals help in regulating fluid balance.
- Relief from migraine: Presence of coumarins gives relief from migraines.
- Treats rheumatism: Celery extracts, which contain85% 3nB, are effective for treating arthritis and muscular pains.
- Good for diabetic patients: Celery leaves are also eaten for treating diabetic conditions.
- Relief from ophthalmologic disease:Dripping celery tea drops on eyelids is good for ophthalmologic affectations.